Sunday, March 29, 2009

TPCK Chapter 8 Art Education

The first paragraph expressed the need for present day workers to be skilled in the digital-age literacy, in order to be successful in the twenty-first century. With this skill comes the need for training and then the “wicked problem,” appears with new changes in technology.
During my undergraduate studies, I only attended one art method class and two music classes. The rest of the classes that I attended were core classes. Chapter Eight discussed the lack of preparation for preservice teachers in art education that is due to content requirement. This “wicked problem” does not allow for technology to be integrated into music and art, because of the limited exposure to methods curriculums.
Art and Music provide students with real world experiences, and allows for self-discovery but is mentioned as possible budget cuts each year. Brain research states the benefits that art education has on both brain hemispheres. However, it stills remains open to budget cuts.
I love Michelangelo’s quote, “I am still learning.” My students will ask me questions and when I don’t know the answers, I tell them that I need to search for the answers on the Internet. They think because I’m their teacher, I know all the answers. I explain to them, that don’t have all the answers that I never want to stop learning. It would make the world be a boring place.
Chapter Eight provided several websites for teachers to explore. I decided to explore the Crayola website. I found a poetry link for concrete, acrostic poems and a rhyming dictionary. This site also provided audio with a fluent and expressive reader. I will integrate this website with my poetry unit. This chapter also stated that art lessons should be integrated into content areas to enhance learning for kinesthetic, visual, and auditory learners. The “wicked problem” is the time constraint due to the many standards that we are required to teach. First graders love to paint with watercolors and mold clay into characters for clay animation movie. I remember when school was fun!!!!!!
Art Education relates to the cognitive learning theory by Vygotsky, Feuerstein, Hoffman, and Miller (171) on how people learn by attaching prior knowledge to new knowledge, providing opportunities for self expression, and moving to independent use and application. How can we consider cutting art education in our schools?

4 comments:

  1. Stacey,
    I would love to do more art education in my room. I do try to integrate art projects, retelling stories,and music to enhance content areas. I viewed KinderArt and found three lessons to integrate. I will add a pattern caterpillar to our butterfly unit. Lifetime color has a weather lesson that follows one of our standards-how weather affects our lives. The Artrageous hat project will add to the literature connection with Miss Honey's Hat. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy,
    I find it very sad that Art is always on one step away from being cut. I can not imagine school without art or music. Art addresses multiple intelligences. My grandmother was a beautiful artist. Her drawings and oil paintings decorate my home with a wonderful reminder of the talent she had. She also decorate cakes with the same talent. (Just to inform you her talent skipped me.)I do like the Edutopia website. I viewed the first grade music video.It presented different facets of art performed in the classroom by outside sources. The Old Sturbridge Village site is a wonderful resources for teaching Colonial America. I have been there and enjoyed the tour. How many students from our area are able to visit there? The online tour can take them there. Free of Charge!!!!! I found a website, Eekworld, by PBS on recycling. I would like to show the site to my class but it has a small image. Can I enlarge it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda-
    Glad you liked Edutopia. That site has the link to elementary school video production that I send to the architect for the new school. He needed to see that this was an avenue for authentic learning for young children and see an example of young students "doing" the technology involved.
    I also checked out the eekoworld site at PBS. By the way there is an o. I tried out a movie clip. I tried downloading in Real Player but that didn't work. I think that you'll have to play it from the website. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you liked the sites. I know that you like doing art in the classroom and I hope you have fun, use the new resources and use new ideas. I love Kinderart. I would like to do more with music and performing arts.

    ReplyDelete