Sunday, March 15, 2009

Chapter 7 TPCK in Mathematics

The quote by Albert Einstein, “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand,” (145) makes reference to the real world. This correlates with the reason for the use of technology in our school systems, for it to provide students with real life experiences that cannot be found in textbooks.
I do agree with the statement found on page 146. I spend too much time worrying over “what” type of technology to use, instead of focusing on “how” to use the technology. This is my wicked problem! When I was in High School we were taught how to solve mathematical problems, then we were allowed to use a calculator to check the answers. Now High School students use the calculators to solve the math problems, but do not know how to work through the computation process. Is this a wicked problem that our society will have to address when these students enter the work force?
Hurrah for the idea of limiting the mathematical concepts that will be taught in grades K-8. This will provide me with the opportunity to cover standards more effectively. At the first grade level, the students need many opportunities for practicing these concepts. Our math program, Investigations, requires many math concepts to be taught throughout the school year. With so many math concepts to teach there is not enough practice time or time spend on any one of these concepts in order for students to achieve mastery level.
Chapter 7 provides positive reasons to integrate technology into mathematical instructions. Technology can be used to help educators create lesson plans that are engaging, imaginative, and will meet the needs of diverse learning styles.
What I have learned from this chapter is that the mathematical framework needs to include students’ prior knowledge and understanding, builds and organizes factual knowledge, and uses a meta-cognitive approach to help students learn new math concepts. In order to provide successful mathematical instructions, this framework needs to be integrated with technology that can engage students in real world experiences.

5 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I like the Cool Math 4Kids website. It is a great resource for introducing new math concepts like place value. This website can be used with the Smartboard to assist visual learners.I did have concerns with the Academic Skill Builder racer online game. The students need to have math fluency in order to be successful with this game due to the time constraints. I have students that would become easily frustrated with the time constraints.
    In first grade students need to use paper and pencils to solve math problems. Technology is used to enhance math concepts not to distract students from them. Basics need to be taught first!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,
    I like Albert Einstein's definition of mathematics' TPCK-to established independent thinking, questioning,and connecting mathematics to the real world. Last year I attended a technology conference. One of the sessions that was presented was on the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives. I had forgot about this website. There are three links that I need to integrate with my math units. The Base Blocks Addition,Color Patterns,and Bar Chart can be used as Smartboard interactive lesson that will enhance my mathematic teaching instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhonda,
    As I stated during the presentation I just used the skill builders website with my kids and they loved it! I didn't have nay kids get frustrated, even the slowest ones (we all have them!).

    I agree with you about basics being taught first. I think once the technique is taught though, that they can use such games or programs to practice them.

    So I encourage you to try the games with your kids, they may just surprise you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda,
    I had a little technical difficulty with my last post.

    I love the idea of using a Smart board with the virtual manipulative site. I bet the kids are riveted when you use those together. I have only seen a Smart board in use once at my daughter's open house at her middle school. It was interesting.
    I just love the site for its easy access and kid friendly format. It is a great site for Ed. Techs to use if they are helping reinforce a concept with an individual or small group. Using a laptop is so much more convenient than lugging around tubs of manipulatives.

    ReplyDelete