Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chapter 4 Development of English

The ED-U-Tech program from the University of Minnesota was an interesting approach to creating E-TPCK in preservice teachers. I thought the idea of a content area integrated with technology skills was an approach that makes sense. Forming a content area cohort provides students with a network of peers to share ideas on technology and content areas. The integration of Technology with the English content area would easily impact the development of E-TPCK. Determining how and why educators learn to use technology determines their development of E-TPCK. (90) Providing the preservice teachers with access to upgraded software and hardware, digital equipment, and staffing the computer lab with knowledge support personnel, is dream come true. Sign me up for this program. It is a shame that this approach is not fostered in our educational system.
Bowman describes a problem with the ED-U-Tech approach due to the lack of knowledge in students’ learning and lesson preparation that preservice teachers have. Would this approach be more suitable for mastery level? I do agree with Bowman that modeling is needed to provide guidance and support, but not just for preservice teachers. In order to create TPCK in any content area, guidance and support through modeling will assist in service teachers as well as preservice teachers.
This chapter expressed the need for teachers to be aware of new and critical technological literacy (Internet) that is found within our technological society. According to Selfe, “ a reflective awareness of social and cultural phenomenon; literate citizens should be able to carefully analyze, to pay attention to, the technology-literacy link at the fundamental levels of both conception and practice.” (102) As technology literacy changes to meet the changes in society, I’m finding it very difficult to “keep up.” I know that I need to “keep up” with these changes in order to prepare my students for the new skills and strategies required to be literate in the twenty-first century.
At the conclusion of this chapter, I feel TPCK would be developed easily by embedding technology within a content area. This would become more difficult when you have more than one content area to teach.

4 comments:

  1. Maggie,
    I would love to have a digital projector to provide more interactive lessons. Then of course, I would want a Smartboard to "go along" with the projector. But then I would have a "wicked problems." There would be no support for technology integration. I liked the Safeteens website that provided information on have to be safe when using the Internet. Should this be taught at home or at school? Or both? Teens may think they have everything under control but they still do not use "good judgment" when they are on the computer. The Teacher Tube video was a great way to present how Smartboards can be used to enhance teaching instructions. I had to laugh at the video on Wikis in Plain English. It made sense!!! I hope educators are using it when they are introducing Wikis to their class. I do hope I will be comfortable with IMovie by the end of this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg,
    I have little patience when technology does not work the way it needs to. I do not have time to trouble shoot why the computer is in the "spin of death" or why I can not connect to the Internet or to PowerSchool. I have seven subjects to teach and an Intervention group to plan for. No Time for hassles!!!!! I viewed your sites and liked the connection from Education World to Journey North.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your "no time for hassles" attitude...I feel the same way sometimes. I am glad that you were able to get something from the sites I posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda,
    I love the projector. I only had a projector, no smartboard, at the high school and it added SO MUCh to my classroom. There is just something exciting about bringing media in to explain things and allowing group sharing and discussion in this way. I still have a lot to learn about the smartboard. I am definitely not using it to its full potential this year, but my kids encourage me to play with it and use it in different ways. I think that is my goal for next year!
    I am so glad that my links could be of some assistance to you. I know that I have gained so much from everyone else's links, resources, and suggestions. This cohort is FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete