Friday, April 10, 2009

TPCK-in Physical Education

As I read Chapter Ten, I became aware of the science course work that is required to teach Physical Education. I did not realize this study of kinesiology included courses like biomechanics. Each chapter has exposed me to new knowledge and understanding of content areas that I have not taught or attended courses on.
The PCK in Physical Education, has the same dimensions as all other content areas: knowledge and conceptions for the purpose of teaching, knowledge of student’s understandings of conceptions and misconceptions, knowledge of instructional strategies, and curricular knowledge. (208) Each content has an overall goal that educators what students to achieve. Physical Education goals focus on teaching physical and motor skills. I understand that Jacob our P.E. teacher is working with students that have different developmental motor skills for their age. Students are not playing outside like we use to, they are in front of their X-Box or Playstation.
I decided the only way to understand this content area is to talk to Jacob. I asked him how he uses technology in P.E. Jacob stated he uses technology to inform parents of the motor skills he is teaching. He takes pictures of students performing different skills. Sometimes these pictures are downloaded to e-mail or to the school website. Jacob commented that if he had a screen and a projector that he could set up in the gym, students would be able to view their performances, and then immediate feedback could be shown to students. However, with the budget cuts, he knows that the projector and screen will not be coming anytime soon.
I did find the information at the end of page 210 ironic. It discussed how feedback and practice helps to train the brain to move the correct muscles as they are needed. When we are learning new skills, I always tell my students we are training our brains.
Physical Education has it share of “wicked problems.” The lack of technology tools and applications due to expense and the limited time students have in a P.E. class. Students at the elementary level have P.E. once a week for thirty minutes. The CRE training requires P.E, for twenty to thirty minutes three to four times a week in order for the training to be effective. How is this limited time in P.E. beneficial to our students who have been labeled obese?
In our new school, I hope Jacob is able to obtain the technology tools he needs to make his teaching easier to manage.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kurt,
    I had fun viewing your sites. The Scooter Signal would be a great idea for teaching directions. The Environment Helpers was another idea that used scooters. Partners will need to pick up the trash (bean bags). One is the driver and one collects the trash. What a fun game to play. I need to know if we have scooters at school. Maybe the P.E. teacher would like to view your websites.The Environment Helpers lesson would teach cooperation as well as reinforce concepts on how to keep the earth clean. The Paper Airplane Throw site was what I needed when my boys were playing baseball. I taught them how to throw a baseball and everyone told them, they throw like a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amity,
    I had a difficult time with Playing with Carla. I do not know how many calories I burned off while Carla was jump roping. I know that I was very tired when I had to pass out snacks to Carla and her friends. The snacks went so fast that I was not able to play the game. My students would find this site frustrating. The Activity T.V. is a great site to provide students with a variety of demonstrations for dance moves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the activity tv link. Carla was thrown out there as a "what not to do" site :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, it sounds like there is a lot there for you, cool. It's always good if we can inject an environmental element into our lessons, I think. Definitely pass the links on to your PE teacher. many of the links are for stand-alone lessons, great in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete