Friday, February 20, 2009

Chapter 3

Chapter 3 TPCK in K-6 Literacy Education
As a reading and writing teacher for the past fifteen years, my job has been to teach reading and writing strategies, assess, and to provide educational opportunities for the students to “move ahead.” Through the years, the definition of “ literacy” and “being literate” has changed to include the electronic era of digital media. As these changes effect educational instructions, it also defines the reality of lack of funding. For example: as plans are being developed for our new school, there will be only one computer lab for five hundred students. This definition of literacy may change but to be successful, more funding for digital training and equipment needs to be provided.
The content knowledge required in teaching literacy has not changed. This knowledge includes language structure, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, and composition. Next this knowledge needs to be applied to instructional methods in reading and writing that are adapted to meet the students’ diverse abilities and literacy background.
Now that information is being accessed from the Internet, different decoding and reading strategies are required in order for students to obtain and use this information. As an educator, I need to understand how technology can change the way I teach literacy. This is difficult for me, due to the rapid changes in digital technology and lack of ongoing training and funding. Chapter Three provides different examples of software that can assist in teaching literacy, but with this benefit comes a “wicked problem.” For example, the word processor will edit and revise written documents. How does this teach students the process of editing and revising in writing? Do they need to be taught this process? Another example is an instructional template, like Webquest that only can be accessed when reading strategies and skills have been taught.
Another benefit for students is having “electronic books” read to them. These books are designed to provide opportunities to have students “hear” fluent reading. However, a problem is that some of the voice recordings are monotone and have choppy fluency. Assistive technology and software that provide traditional and new learning experiences are not easily accessible due to the lack of funding.

The content knowledge in literacy will not change, but the definition of literacy will continue to evolve as our culture changes to meet the needs in society. I understand that digital technology needs to be used to enhance students’ knowledge in reading and writing, but strategies and skills must be taught first. In First Grade these fundamental strategies and skills are taught through researched-based instructions, therefore making some of the digital technology difficult to apply. Chapter Three’s concluding paragraph states, that applying TPCK in literacy is a complex decision making process to implement-“it’s not that elementary.” (80)

6 comments:

  1. Christine,
    I have had the opportunity to visit your classroom and observe your teaching. You do a wonderful job!!! I miss working with you! I agree with you, our grade levels need to focus on teaching our students how to read. We need to have strong reading and writing foundations. I have not seen the Lexia program. Is it a district program? Can we have access to the program at Mallett School? I enjoyed viewing the PBS website. The stories that are read aloud provides students with fluent reading with characters that are known.I will be using the Growing Plant interactive website with our plant unit. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith,
    Being literate and teaching literacy has changed since I was in first grade. Books on tape!! What an invention. Music was on an eight track tape. On the news, it discussed how one school in Portland was documenting through digital storytelling the life of immigrants working at Barbers' frozen food plant. I viewed your webquest and found two interesting sites. An Insect's Perspective is a group research project on four different insects. A rubric is provided. You can also write a letter to an exterminator to determine if the insects live or die. The other site was a monarch butterfly webquest. An excellent website that provides an opportunity for students to research information on monarch butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny,
    I found this chapter to be a great resource. This chapter was talking to me!!! I viewed your websites and found the K-8 academic site provided first grade objections. This site also provided a rubric for computer skills that could be used for first grade. Hooray!!! The Comix Strip was fun to access. It also has writing prompts to assist students with story ideas.
    Computers have not always been a technology tool that I felt comfortable with.BUT.... I'm learning and trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with ya Rhonda! Since I've tried out some new sites and got some of the technical stuff under my belt, I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with computers. I'm glad you like a few of the sites I found. I liked madebeliefcomix a lot. Just remember, you can't save(I think that's what Cindy said anyway). If you create, you have a 40 minute window to finish. I'll have to go back to some of my sites to figure out what you're talking about....."first grade objectives, and a rubric for the computer." Awesome. I hope all is going well. PLEASE call if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhonda - You are a riot! I guess it goes to show that you can teach an older dog (sorry) new tricks! Your technology level has significantly increased from the days of the 8 track. I have heard all about your use of the SMARTboard and Google Earth. Plus... I remember your podcasts. It is amazing how much is actually out there now to help teach literacy skills. Technology has so much potential that it is frightening. The use of webquests would definitely be a great way for you to go. You can cover literacy content and science content at the same time. Talk about integration! Your kids will love the stuff on insects. There are so many different webquests out there! I need to do some more investigating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhonda-
    Thanks for the nice comment :) I miss teaching with you too! My little corner of the building isn't the same without you!
    Anyway, the Lexia program is a program that Joan and Diane worked for us to get. It is a really good program. I think we had to pay for it, but it was definitely worth the money. Maybe it is something you can look into at Mallett. I will bring a computer to class that has it on it to share with you. It reinforces phonological awareness skills and beginning reading strategies. It keeps track of children's progress as individuals and as a class. I can print out reports to see what skills my kids need more work on and what ones they have mastered. It is a wonderful program to inform instruction. Check with the tech folks and see what they can do. Barry might be able to help you out too! Have you used starfall.com with your kids before? This is pretty good reading site. Good Luck! Let me know how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete